Journal Entry #3

 

My Experience in 3D Animation


    When I was in highschool, I always thought of myself studying graphic design in University such as OCAD, but after looking around more, I found out about 3D animation which changed my mind completely. I took the art animation 1 college class in highschool and I really enjoyed it. I took interest in Seneca's animation program so I tried applying. Unfortunately I ended up getting rejected and applied to Humber instead because my art animation 1 professor said he experienced the same thing and ended up loving Humber. I luckily got accepted to Humber and was very excited for my first year of college. However, the more I animated in class, the more I realized animation was not my strong suit so I ended up taking an interest in modelling instead! I learned how to model in 3ds Max, sculpt in Zbrush, use Unreal Engine, and so on. I think I mostly fell in love with modelling instead is because I love drawing original designs and character so when I heard that one of our assignments would be to go through the process of modelling your own character and I was filled with excitement. I ended up designing a female demon hell warden because I love dark and horror themes. We had to create different sillouettes, then greyscale, colour exploration, T poses with different angles, then final art. After the 2D process, we start sculpting in Zbrush for details, then we decimate the sculpt and bring it to 3ds Max for retopolize. Retopolizing was the most painful and long process which caused me many sleepless nights, but I still had so much fun learning about it. I then UV Unwrap it and send it to Substance Painter to apply textures on. Lastly we go back to 3ds Max to apply the textures back onto the model and post it for final product. The entire poject was super fun and I wish I could do it all again if I could. For capstone, I decided to start my modelling journey with my first project being to create a scene with assets and and textures to tell a story. I chose to do a murder scene in a vintage bathroom with blood splattered everywhere and every objects being really dirty. I am very excited to see the final outcome and I hope to better prepare myself for next year's capstone. 













 

Comments

Popular Posts